2/02/2011

Pro-Triathlete Profile: James Bales


Today we bring you another Team RWB Pro Ambassador! He's a father, a doctor, an active duty Air Force Officer, and defending US Armed Forces Male Champion, meet James Bales!
Name: James Bales
Age: 31
Significant other and kids? Wife (Karrn Bales), 1 son (Jeremiah – 11 mos)
When did you get into triathlon and why? I was a varsity swimming letter winner at the US Air Force Academy for 4 years, but didn’t start biking and running until I went to medical school at Georgetown University and parking cost $6 a day.  In order to avoid parking fees, I started biking and running the 10 mile trip each way.  Shortly afterward, I entered my first triathlon.
Do you have a favorite race? I enjoy the camaraderie that is associated with the Armed Forces National Triathlon Championships.
What is your best race memory? Any race where I see my wife and son cheering for me!
When you reach the point of the race where you have to dig down deep, what do use as personal motivation? I think back to my childhood growing up on a sheep farm.  It was my job to work-out the market lambs to build lean muscle mass, so I would have to chase them though an obstacle course on a daily basis.  At the end of a triathlon, I know that none of my competitors can run as fast as a sheep.
What is your favorite leg of a triathlon and why? I enjoy the run portion of the race.  I think I like it because you know the finish line is waiting.
What is your favorite pre-race food? Dairy Queen Medium Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard.
What is your favorite post-race food? Spaghetti.
Besides triathlon, what do you do for fun? SCUBA diving, reading, traveling.
Why Team RWB and supporting the military?  As an orthopedic surgeon and pro triathlete the cause that Team RWB stands of reintegrating our wounded veterans into society is something that I am extremely passionate about.  I have performed numerous amputations, prescribed hundreds of prosthetics, and written physical therapy regimes for our returning wounded troops.  I am now proud to represent them at triathlon venues and raise awareness for their cause.
Significant Race History/Results: 
Elite Triathlete since 2009
2010 Armed Forces National Champion
6- time Armed Forces runner-up
Air Force World Class Athlete Program
2010 Air Force Athlete of the Year
Nearly a decade of top finishes at triathlon events from sprint to ironman at both the local and international level.

No comments:

Post a Comment