2/26/2011

Pro-Triathlete Profile: Brad Pigage

Today we get back to our athlete profiles and continue to introduce you to some of the amazing elite athletes that support Team RWB.  Meet Brad Pigage, a US Coast Guard rescue swimmer, elite athlete, and all-around super guy!

Name: Bradley Pigage
Nickname: B-rad
Age: 26

Do you have a blog Team RWB can follow?  www.bradleypigage.blogspot.com
Significant other and kids?  Currently single with no little ones
When did you get into triathlon and why?  Got into triathlon back in the summer of 05. My good buddy at the time went back home for vacation and came back with a road bike. I looked at him funny for a few weeks while he took off in his spandex on these 3 hour rides. I had to see what the big deal was, so I borrowed a beater from another friend and went out for a ride with him. I didn’t go pretty, but I was hooked. Signed up for a triathlon soon after.
Do you have a favorite race?  Probably the Armed Forces National Championship. Not really for the pretty scenery or anything but just getting to hang out with all the teams for the few days we’re there. Triathlon is such an individual sport most of the time so it’s nice to experience the team aspect of it.
What is your best race memory?  The second race I won overall was the Sandman Triathlon in Virginia Beach.  I had won my first race earlier that season but I didn’t know I had actually won because I started in a wave behind. The Sandman I had started with the Open/Elite wave. The whole run is done on the boardwalk right on the beach with hotels and spectators everywhere. There was a huge crowd of people cheering as I crossed the finish line. It was pretty awesome.
When you reach the point of the race where you have to dig down deep, what do use as personal
motivation?  I’ve always had a no quit attitude. I know that however I feel at a moment in a race,  there is always someone else pushing themselves harder.  So when I reach that point, I think about all those who are going through much worse like fighting cancer, or fighting for their lives in war. I have it easy out there.
What is your favorite leg of a triathlon and why?  The bike is definitely where I like to shine. Lately I’ve been having some pretty good runs so that leg can be enjoyable, but the bike is where I really get into the zone and just go. I try to give myself as much cushion as I can for the run.
What is your favorite pre-race food? I usually start race morning off with either a bagel with peanut butter and jam or Oatmeal with peanut butter. Gotta have that peanut butter!!
What is your favorite post-race food?  Freebirds Burrito. It’s kind of like a Chipotle but way better. It’s a Texas thing.  Also like to end the night with some Coldstone Ice Cream.
Besides triathlon, what do you do for fun?  I have a great group of friends that I love to go out with. Wii Tournaments, cookouts, boating, wakeboarding, ping pong, beach volleyball.   Also love to just kick back sometimes and play a little guitar.
Why Team RWB and supporting the military?  I come from a military family. My grandfather, father, and brother all served in one or more services, and I am currently going into my 9th year in the Coast Guard as a Helicopter Rescue Swimmer.  So you better believe I am all for what Team RWB represents!

Significant Race History/Results:
10th  in my age group and 100thOverall in the 2006 70.3 World Championships. 
2 back to back 9th Overalls at the Military National Championships in 2009 2010.
7 Overall Wins in 2010.
1st Local Elite at the US Open in Dallas, TX 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment