1/27/2011

Pro-Triathlete Profile: Tim O'Donnell

Many of you who follow professional triathlon probably already know who today's pro-triathlete is! Today we introduce you to Tim O'Donnell! Tim is the very first pro-triathlete to join Team RWB, and his advice and insight has been invaluable as we continue to grow and develop the organization.  You will get to read all about Tim's accomplishments below, and keep an eye on the triathlon press as he sets out to do great things in 2011. Click here for some of the most recent news on Tim: http://triathlon.competitor.com/2011/01/news/tim-odonnell-will-pass-on-olympics-aims-for-kona_19161 .

If you click on the "Pro Ambassador" link you find links under Tim's name that takes you to some press articles about Tim's announcement, this past fall (right before he became the highest finishing US male finisher, and 3rd place podium winner, at the Ironman 70.3 World Championships) of joining Team RWB.  He's raced that race with Team RWB colors, as well as at the Asia-Pacific 70.3 Championship in December (of which he was the champion).  Beyond being an incredible triathlete, Tim is amazing person and fully dedicated to Team RWB! We are excited to have his support, and look forward to supporting him as he moves up to the Ironman distance this year! Without further adieu, we introduce you to Tim O'Donnell:

Name: Timothy O’Donnell
Nickname:  T.O.
Age: 30
Do you have a Twitter account where people can follow you? A blog? 
Twitter: @TOinTRI
Facebook: Timothy O’Donnell

Significant other and kids? My girlfriend professional triathlete and Kona Champ Mirinda Carfrae
When did you get into triathlon and why?
I was a swimmer growing up and my first two years at the Naval Academy.   When I was a Plebe at the Academy my brother Thomas (a 1st Class Midshipmen and Captain of the Triathlon Team) had me try out for the Triathlon Team, I made the cut and after two years of collegiate swimming I decided to devote  myself fully to triathlon. 
Do you have a favorite race?
Ironman 70.3 Asia-Pacific Championships in Phuket, Thailand is by far the greatest race experience.  Where else do you get to cross the finish-line with  a baby elephant!
What is your best race memory?
Winning the 2009 ITU Long Course Triathlon World Championships
What is your favorite leg of a triathlon and why?
I love the run.  I was never good at running but after YEARS of working on it I am in the mix with the world’s best.  There is nothing like a good battle going into the finish chute to get your heart beating!
What is your favorite pre-race food?
Pre-race I love chicken and mashed potatoes.  For dessert, a fudge brownie!
What is your favorite post-race food?
Post race I love milkshakes
Besides triathlon, what do you do for fun?
I am a big wine and coffee fan.  I love hanging with friends at a coffee shop and just chatting and enjoying the view.  I also started to learn the drums.  I just got a set of killer electronic V-drums …hopefully I can learn to play them properly!
Why Team RWB and supporting the military?
As a former naval officer I wanted a charity close to my heart.  I heard RWB was supporting a former team mate of mine who was injured overseas and I began learning more about the foundation.  Without the support of the Navy I would never achieved the success I have seen in triathlon.  RWB is a way for me to use the notoriety I have gained from those opportunities to give back.  


No comments:

Post a Comment