1/21/2011

Age Group Triathlete Profile: Jackie Dickens


Name:  Jackie Dickens
2011 USAT Racing Age Group: 30-34
Occupation:  Category Management at Sears Holdings Corporation
Hometown:  Syracuse, NY

Why Triathlon? I’ve run competitively since middle school and was looking for a new fitness challenge.  I had improved my swimming skills while training to become a SCUBA divemaster.  So I grabbed my old hybrid bike from when I was growing up, and decided to try an Olympic triathlon as a Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training athlete.  This was back in 2008.  I’ve been addicted to the sport ever since.
Do you have a favorite race? No, not in particular.  I like to race locally whenever possible.
What is your best race memory?  Ironman 70.3 Racine, but back when it was the Spirit of Racine in 2009.  The race course was virtually the same, but the event was a bit smaller and the weather was perfect that year.  I proved to myself that I could successfully plan and execute my own training schedule and for a new, longer distance!  Achieving a PR with my husband there cheering me on was also a highlight for this day.
When you reach the point of the race where you have to dig down deep, what do use as personal motivation?  I think of the wounded veterans who I’m racing on behalf of.  Sometimes just singing songs in my head works too.
What is your favorite leg of a triathlon and why? Cycling - I feel the most powerful during this leg, there’s so much scenery to enjoy, and for me, this leg is the easiest!
What is your favorite race distance, and why?  Olympic – it’s a very manageable distance to train for and the race day duration is the length of a medium to long workout!
Besides triathlon, what do you do for fun?  I love to spend time with family and friends, travel and SCUBA dive.  I’m getting more into cooking and am trying to find more time to do my artwork and read.
Why Team RWB and supporting our military?  Upon completing my active duty commitment, I wanted to give back to the military community and be a part of a philanthropic organization.  I was particularly interested in supporting injured veterans as I feel fortunate to have completed a deployment and active duty without major injury or trauma.
Planned 2011 Races:  I’m totally undecided still.  2011 might be a rebuilding or off year for me.  I will likely do an Olympic distance triathlon or at least a couple runs (half marathon or shorter) on behalf of Team RWB.

No comments:

Post a Comment