1/01/2011

Pro-Triathlete Profile: Derek Oskutis

Happy New Year Team RWB Triathlon!  
To kick off the New Year, we are going to introduce you to members of the team, both our pro-triathletes and our age group triathletes! Team RWB is about community, and so this is part of how we will get to know each other.  There will be, at least, weekly updates and you can expect your monthly newsletter around the middle of each month! Let's make 2011 AMAZING!

 US Navy Ensign Derek Oskutis, World Class Athlete Program and Professional Triathlete

Athlete Name: Derek Oskutis
Nickname:  Big D, Scooter, Tridactyl
Age: 24
Twitter: @derekoskutis

Significant other and kids? Nope! But moving to San Diego soon… ladies?

When did you get into triathlon and why? I got into triathlons when I was 13 years old. Coming from Pennsylvania, I’ve always been around remarkable athletes and a booming athletic community. I heard of triathlons through a few athletes in the area and decided to give it a try for fun. I ended up walking the run but it was a blast. I didn’t get into them again until I was about half way through high school.

Do you have a favorite race? My favorite race location is Tuscaloosa, Al. I raced there multiple times for Collegiate and Elite Nationals. I don’t think there could be a more ‘balanced’ race course.

What is your best race memory? Best memory hands down is leading the United States Naval Academy Triathlon Team to their 4th National Championship victory in 2009. So much went into that win for the team and the feeling of all the hard work paying off was very rewarding.

When you reach the point of the race where you have to dig down deep, what do use as personal motivation? I reflect back on all the hardships that I’ve gone through. From all the things I’ve been able to do with the Navy and my family, it gives me confidence to push harder and harder.

What is your favorite leg of a triathlon and why? Does the bar afterwards count?

What is your favorite pre-race food?  I love my pasta the night before. Can’t beat Vanilla Gu right before the start either!

What is your favorite post-race food?  Anything in very large quantities.

Besides triathlon, what do you do for fun?  I love hanging out with friends and seeing where the night goes. I’m always trying improve my cooking skills and enjoy pretty much anything outdoors. Can’t wait for my next snowboarding vacation.

Why Team RWB and supporting the military? As an EOD Officer and professional triathlete, I want to use both of these professions together to help represent and bring awareness to the military, specifically the EOD community. The EOD techs, no matter what branch, are some of the brightest sailors and solders our country has and everyday they sacrifice more than their fair share for our freedoms. With Team RWB, I hope to represent them and the rest of the military heroes through my racing.

Significant Race History/Results:
Professional Triathlete
USAT Project 2016 Team Member
Represented USA 3 times on an U23 or Elite Worlds Team
2x Collegiate Nationals Champion
#1 undergrad at Collegiate Nationals
Podiumed 3x at U23 Nationals

1 comment:

  1. What an impressive young man! I'll be cheering for you!

    I did not think that the Navy had a WCAP program. Am I wrong?

    ReplyDelete