4/05/2011

Pro-Triathlete Profile: Jessica Meyers

Today's Team RWB athlete profile is of one of our Pro-Ambassadors, Jessica Meyers.  Jess has and wears many hats! She's a wife, Mom, pro-triathlete, former Army Officer with combat time in Iraq, NCAA Div I runner at West Point, and more! This year she is racing as a member of the REV3 Trakkers Professional Racing team (<--click for more information) and we'll be cheering for her throughout the year as she takes on half-iron distance races everywhere!  Jess was also featured in LAVA Magazine talking about triathlon, military life, and Team RWB! You can read that article HERE.  We are thrilled to have Jess as part of Team RWB and look forward to cheering her on throughout the season! 

Name:  Jessica Meyers
Nickname:  Jess and before I was married Jonesie
Age: 32
Do you have a blog or Twitter account where people can follow you?
@Jessmeyerstri 

Do you have a significant other and kids?  Married to Lucas (former Army swimmer) and twins Rowan and Gwyn
When did you get into triathlon and why?  My last two years at West Point I was injured from Airborne School.  I guess I didn’t feel satisfied with my collegiate running career so when I graduated I started doing with my little brother Trevor (who ended up on the Army Tri Team).
Do you have a favorite race?  I loved Armed Forces when I could do it.  They need an alumni race one day!
What is your best race memory?  Okay, I have a couple…Winning Armed Forces 2005 after a 14 month deployment to Iraq gave me hope.  Getting on the start line for my first 70.3 in 2008 and having my twins (18 months at the time) there to “cheer.”  And of course winning my first big pro race, Augusta 70.3
When you reach the point of the race where you have to dig down deep, what do use as personal motivation?  I think that it’s awesome I’m even out there.  I’m not sleeping on a cot somewhere.  I’m not getting shot at.  I’m not worried about IEDs.  But there are plenty of others out there and this is a constant worry.  Do it for them because they don’t get to.  You owe it to them to give everything you’ve got.
What is your favorite leg of a triathlon and why?  Depends on the day!  I will say that running is my first love, although much like any first love, sometimes we just don’t get along.
What is your favorite pre-race food?  Bagel, PB, banana, honey.  I will admit, I learned this little gem of a meal from Timmy O at the Olympic Training Center.
What is your favorite post-race food?  Whatever they've got on hand! 
Besides triathlon, what do you do for fun?  Ha!  Whatever my kids want to do!  That usually involves a park or destroying the house.
Why Team RWB and supporting the military?  The military has given me more than I can ever give back.  This is my attempt to give back a fraction of it.

Significant Race History/Results:
2010 Augusta 70.3 Champion
2010 Boulder 70.3 3rd Place
2010 Austin 70.3 6th Place
2009 Austin 70.3 6th Place
2009 Memphis in May 2rd Place
Armed Forces Tri Champion 2005, 8th at CISM that year
Armed Forces Cross Country Champion 2006
Former World Class Athlete Program member
Former Resident Team Olympic Training Center

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on coming in 1st for woman at 2011 Austin 70.3! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete